Monday, October 29, 2007

A few hours in Christ Church



By the way, one of my posts did not make it and many of you will think that I have gone crazy (or maybe crazier) with the little figure Flat Stanley. Flat Stanley has hitched a ride with me - he really belongs at Milk River elementary school but he made an escape in my backpack. I will ship him back to Mrs. Schmitt's class from McMurdo after he has seen some things.

Today we got into Auckland where we got some kiwi (New Zealand) money then we flew to Christ Church. We were in the line in customs and I met some lady who was going also to Antartica and she said she was a journalist - so I asked her if she worked for PBS - she looked at me funny and said, no - I work for NBC and then a bunch of people in line said 'We watch your show all the time etc. etc.' I do not think she was too impressed with me as I had no clue who she was (I guess I do not watch the NBC 'Today' morning show very much - really never - but then she did not know who I was either so we were even). Anyways, the film crew is going down to Antartica for her (her name is Ann Curry) and apparently this is a big deal - see http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21487380/. They are all on our flight in the morning down to McMurdo - so check out the Today show for the next few days to see what I am also going through.

I was getting my EWG (Extreme Weather Gear) so you may see me on MSNBC in my underwear as they were filming while we were all testing out stuff out. Good news is that they let me dump the 'Bunny Boots' as I have my own Canadian Sorels!

I was really hungry and thirsty so had to get a big cappachino - yes Cheryl, this is as good or better than in Australia :)

After that I came back to the hotel and Flat Stanley and I went for a walk here in ChristChurch both downtown near the Cathedral and into the Botanical Gardens. It is just well into spring now so everything is really green and a lot of flowers are out. I went out for supper at Dux de Lux with a colleague I will be working with - lime/pepper fish + kiwi SavBlanc - yum!

A question for Mrs. Schmitt's elementary class - what is wrong with this street scene (well not wrong, just different from Canada) (hint - what are the cars doing?)

Next post from the ice!!!

3 comments:

grade 1 said...

Hi Doug,
just checking this out.
Janelle

grade 1 said...

Dear Doug and Flat Stanley,
How was your trip? Are you having fun? Are you going trick-or-treating? Do you have to trick-or-treat inside because it is too cold outside? Are you carving a pumpkin? Our temperature here is 12C. Bye. Write soon. Milk River Grade One

Doug said...

Hi Grade 1 class - thanks for the comment. I missed Halloween entirely. In fact I am not sure that it is much of a holiday in New Zealand as I did not see any pumpkins or decorations on the houses. Plus - it is now
mid spring there so no pumpkins!
I am in McMurdo now and I will update the blog soon. I have to go to a meeting about our project this morning. I am 5 hours behind Milk River.
Flat Stanley seemed to survive the flight - but he accidentally got x-rayed as I forgot to take him out of my backpack. BUT - I am worried - he has not ECW (Extreme Cold Weather) gear - he is going to freeze!