Thursday, December 6, 2007

On the Phone from Antarctica

Hi Grade 1's - I am going to put your questions up because some of the people would like
to know what you knew and what you wanted to know.

What we know:

  • It is cold there
  • There are lots of rocks
  • There are lots of penguins
  • There is a volcano
  • There is lots of ice.
  • Ther are only 2 legged animals and swimming animals.
  • It can be -89c
  • They can have snowstorms and blizzards.
  • There is lots of snow
  • There are lots of seal holes
  • There is an ocean
  • There are lots of seals
  • It is light there right now

What we would like to learn about Antarctica:

  • Where is the zone of never-melting ice?
  • Where is the volcano?
  • How do you make the rocks into a rock sample?
  • What does the volcano shoot out? Is it ice or lava?
  • How is there a volcano made out of ice?
  • How did Antarctica get its name?
  • Why is it so icey?
  • Where do the snowstorms come from?
  • How did you build the inukshuk? Did it take a long time?
  • Did people go to Antarctica before it froze?
  • Why is it so snowy?
  • Why are there so many rocks?
We talked a little bit about how the continents were connected. One of the students knew about this already. Could you talk about what type of life used to exist?

Flat Stanley and I put together a slide show that tried to answer these questions, I will make a link to it when I am back in Edmonton. The people from the CTV Lethbridge station and the Lethbridge Herald also came down to be there when we had our discussion. I heard 'Come Back Soon' to Flat Stanley. He is going to have one more adventure, however, before he gets mailed.

Here are some links from our talk
- The presentation (in pdf format)
- The CTV video clip
- The Lethbridge Herald Article (in pdf)

2 comments:

grade 1 said...

Hi Mr. Doug,
How are you doing at Antarctica? How do you know so much about Antarctica and the rocks there? Thanks for answering most of the questions the kids asked. Why did you want to be a scientist?
From Kyle
(Kyle tried to post a comment at home, but didn't have any luck, so we did it from school) Thanks, Janelle

Doug said...

Hi Kyle:

Actually, I am also learning about the rocks down here. This was all quite new for me as I was asked to help on the project and I knew nothing about Antarctica before I came here. So, it is always important to keep learning new things. I knew a lot of the basic ideas but I also asked some of the other scientists around how had worked on this area a lot for their ideas when I answered the questions.

I always wanted to be a scientist probably because I thought scientists got to blow things up!
I think I wanted to be a scientist because you get to learn and do things that no one has done before. You also have to want to ask questions and want to try to find the answer. You should be interested in many different things too so that you can have lots of different ways to think about your questions and how to answer them.