Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Out to the rig again - but this time in the heli!


Hi All - Finally, I am out to the rig to get going on setting up the equipment for a few days. But, I got very lucky - I ended up taking the helicopter out (Bell 212) for the short (~15 minute) ride for the daily core run.

Here again is yet another picure of Erebus on the way - at least it is a bit clearer. The wind blown ice shows some interesting patterns too.










Most of the day shift was already asleep by the time I got there - but Jono found me a bunk at the camp and off to bed. The camp mostly consists of a number of containers that have been set up. The containers and tents on the left have the kitchen, the dinner room, the lounge, and the shower and the laundry. As well the water comes from a reverse-osmosis process of the sea water. The containers on the right are the sleeping accomodations - they are basically bunks (there are 5 in my container). It is about 500 metres from rig.

Good news - there have been penguins around!!! They told me that an Emperor penquin was checking out the camp - so hopefully I will get to see them. Apparently we are only 8 km from the ice edge.

No comments: