Thursday, November 1, 2007

Some of the Sights


Hi All - have been busy with things here. Yesterday had the snowmobile course. Today and tomorrow is the big one - 'Happy Camper' school where we will be sleeping in a snow trench or a tent tonight. Then on Monday I have to take my sea ice safety course, then my driving course and then finally I can get out to the rig next week. We are anxious as there is a lot to do out there.

We are trying to get as much out of McMurdo as we can as once I go to the rig I may not be back to 'civilization' again for some time. Last night we walked over to Scott Base where the New Zealand station is. The night before that we walked to 'Scott's Hut' (really Discovery Hut - see Wikipedia article) and took some of these pictures. Scott's team was one of the earliest to visit - his ships got stuck in the ice and they put together the building in the picture in 1911. Twenty five men lived in there!

This is a picture of McMurdo from 'Hut Point'And this is a picture that looks the other way more or less to the North from McMurdo - not a lot out there except rock and ice!

No comments: